Wednesday, December 01, 2004

THE TEACHING SITUATION IN OHIO

I wanted to update everybody on the current status of teaching in Ohio.

There aren't many jobs. I mean, of course some of the parochial schools have a couple of openings, and the charter schools are always looking, but, effectively, there really are no jobs.

Except a FEW special ed jobs.

That's unheard of. There has been a shortage for over 10 years, at least in science and math. At any given moment, open positions exist in urban districts. That fact has been helpful for the young teachers. For many years, the urban schools were the employer of the last resort.

Not now. And, perhaps, not for some time in the future. The urban districts have consolidated existing classes, and the numbers are approaching Hoo-Boy. I don't have to say that such a crowded class is less effective in providing education. That's pretty obvious. But it also diminishes the school climate, and makes both teaching and learning more of a hassle, and less of a good thing.

I'll be back on the street in a little less than 2 weeks (I knew that it was a short-term job). I'm a little nervous about the prospect, but I have to believe that there is a purpose for all this turmoil.

If anyone wants to talk about setting up a workshop, I'm available. Don't be shy.

No comments: