Using trackbacks is not difficult, but it does take some time to set up. The major online trackback sources (HaloScan, WordPress, Movable Type, etc.) all use similar systems.
- Go to one of the above providers. I use HaloScan, so I'll use them as an example. You have to create an account.
- When you reference a blog using trackbacks, first create your post. If you use FireFox or a browser that allows tabbing, open a New Tab. Then, in that new tab, sign into HaloScan, and select Manage Trackbacks. The blog name and the blog's URL will be already filled in.
- At the bottom of your post will be the Permalink ? the permanent reference to the individual post. Copy that link, and switch to HaloScan. Paste the link in the 2nd field, Your Permalink URL. Put the Post Title in the 3rd field.
- Switch back to the post, and select an excerpt from your post. Copy and Paste into the 4th field, Your Excerpt.
- Go to the original post, and find the Trackback link. Copy, and Paste into the last field, URLs to Ping. Once you've done that, click on the Ping Now button. If the message returns as Success, you're done. Otherwise, you need to send another ping.
You will want to install the Trackback capability on your blog. By doing so, you can easily manage comments and references to your post.